Wednesday 9 May 2012

Knocking on Faerie Door Part 8

I am nervous, I take the cover between my thumb and forefinger and open it very carefully.
The little book makes a crunching sound, I glimpse a sheet of paper that is silky looking and
etched with little words in gold.

Take me high
Take me low
Make me wings
Make me glow

I dream about
a place to go
how I need to look
I'm sure you know

So take me now
Here I am
I want to be

So this is it,easy enough. I need just think about what I want to be and I can change my shape.

I feel a tingling down my spine, that prickly feeling creeping over my skin. I want to try this now. I have a surge of nervous energy rising in my stomach , I feel quiet nauseous. I must calm down.

Then the sound that can chill an Eskimo: "Winnifred!! Breakfast!!" I will never get used to Nanny interrupting my special train of thought. In one movement I place the little book under my pillow and dress in my fresh frock, socks and nickers. I slip into my black patent leather shoes and rush out of my bedroom and hit the stairs running!! I don't want to keep Nanny waiting, besides which cold porridge is simply dreadful tasting.

"Ouch" tears start spurting from my eyes , as I land hard on my bottom at the foot of the stairwell.
Nanny runs to assist, with Bob Bowfinger in close attendance. "Come now my dear " says Nanny so sweetly that I almost forget that my (now surely bruised) bottom hurts.
Nanny leads my gently to the chair, as I explain looking at her through bleary eyes how my mishap occurred.

A large glass of orange, freshly squeezed, is placed in front of me by Bob Bowfinger. I like you Mr.Bowfinger I think to myself. I wonder what happened to Mr Grimm, our previous butler. I am not permitted to ask such questions, having been told that's "adults business" or in other words, none of my business.

After bleary eyes had dried and porridge all eaten up. I was told those magical words "you can go play!" Oh what joy. The sore bottom now a distant memory I race upstairs to retrieve my little bark covered book. This time I  open the book with some force.
I know exactly what I want to be and where I want to be!! I trust this ( for some bizarre reason) implicitly.

I think about my desired outcome and read


Take me high
Take me low
Make me wings
Make me glow

I dream about
a place to go
how I need to look
I'm sure you know

So take me now
Here I am
I want to be

I wait for the result, remembering the pain of popping wings and the unsure jelly feeling whilst I was made to shrink. I was hardly finished thinking when I realised I was in another room, looking up at something vaguely familiar, yet huge!! I look down at myself . It's the kitchen table leg, wow it looks different from down here.

It worked!!! it really did!!! I'm careful not to speak...erm squeak! I try to look around, I hear those oh so familiar voices Mr. Bowfinger & Nanny. They are chatting. Mr. Bowfinger addresses Nanny as Delores Daffodil. I almost squeak out loud! I caution myself. Delores Daffodil well in all my eleven years on this earth I had never known Nanny be called anything other that Nanny.

I edge ever nearer, so as to hear more closely, their conversation. What I hear you will never believe!! I am shaken to the bone, my ears twitching my mind spiralling out of control. How? Oh how can it be?



No comments:

Post a Comment